14 January 2011
ROAST CHICKEN
The more food writing and cookbooks I read, the more I discover that absolutely everyone has something very good to say about a seemingly simple dish; the roast chicken. Two great books that I acquired recently include such praise. Simon Hopkinson, in his book Roast Chicken and Other Stories, says that, "Roasting a chicken is a joy for me; if I am pressed to name my favorite food, then roast chicken it must be." In my new favorite cookbook, Plenty, Diana Henry says, "roasting isn't just about good food, it's a way of living...it is a grand gesture, the pinnacle of home cooking, honoring both the animal and those you are feeding." I am not usually thinking about honoring my carcass while in the kitchen, but I have to say this statement really resonated with me after roasting two chickens in the past couple weeks. I can't quite say why, but I really felt connected to what I was doing and it somehow felt very satisfying to my heart and soul (and tummy of course). I went to a good butcher (whom I had an actual conversation with), then came home and very simply prepared the best food we have had in months. It is amazing what a few good ingredients and a gas oven can do.
The top picture is a smoked paprika roast chicken with aioli (served with watercress and a crusty baguette), and the second one is a Malaysian roast chicken (served with rice and greens). Both came from the cookbook, Plenty: Good, uncomplicated food for the sustainable kitchen. Each chicken lasted close to three meals and tasted amazing. Can't wait to make more and more variations!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment