14 February 2011

VALENTINE'S SUGAR

Every Valentine's Day I make sugar cookies.  I only make them once a year because otherwise we'd be in real trouble (we have very little self-restraint when it comes to this particular type of sweet).  Having this as a tradition makes the holiday even more of a special occasion.  We really look forward to these little heart-shaped morsels.  The recipe that I like is an adaptation of the "soft and chewy sugar cookies" from Cook's Illustrated's New Best Recipe (probably my most-used cookbook).

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 375 and spray baking sheets (or use parchment paper).  Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.

Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).  Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.  Add dry ingredients and beat until just combined.  Put in fridge for an hour or so till dough is firm.

Roll out dough in some flour and cut shapes (maybe 1/2 inch thick?).  Put onto baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes, rotating halfway through.  Take them out when they are just barely brown on the very edges.

Let them cool on the sheet for a couple minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely before frosting.  See frosting recipe below.

Very important!  These cookies are the best the day after.  Put them in an airtight container or plastic bag overnight.  This will make them super soft and chewy :)


3 comments:

Jamie said...

So pretty and I am sure very yummy!
Happy Valentines Day xoxo

Heather I. said...

Mine always turn out hard and crunchy :( The next time I give it a try, I'll be using this recipe!

Natalie Clay said...

Your blog is the only blog I look at these days. I love it! I can't believe your crazy knitting skills. You are such a star! I love you and miss you like crazy!!!