18 October 2011

STRIPEY BABY BLANKET

I wanted to make a special baby blanket for our boy, because everyone should grow up having a special blanket.  When I was a baby, my Grandma Zollinger gave me a handmade baby quilt that I still have today.  I grew up taking it everywhere and loved it to death, and now it reminds me of home and childhood and happiness; it is really a magical little piece of fabric.  Hopefully our boy will have a similar attachment to this quilt his mamma made him.  It was a really simple project; I used the basic instructions of the lap duvet at the purl bee.  For the front of the quilt I splurged on some of the insanely beautiful Nani Iro Kokka fabric from Japan, and for the back I used a simple white flannel.  The blanket has a bit of a story.  I actually "ruined" my insanely beautiful Japanese fabric by being an idiot and washing it with some other brand new, VERY blue, fabric.  The result was a splotchily dyed fabric and lots of my tears.  After some reassurance from husband that it "actually looked more interesting and special" (didn't quite believe THAT at the moment), I pressed forward and made the quilt.  And, as it turns out, I DO think it is more interesting and special with the blue dye.  As my husband says, "things always work out."  Maybe seeing this little quilt will help me remember this often needed piece of advice.

1 comment: