Plenty is by far my favorite cookbook right now. I love the writing, everything I make from it tastes great, and it is really getting me to try some new stuff. For example, since getting this book I have started cooking a lot with some not-so-common types of grains (farro, barley, quinoa, etc). I'm really getting into these new ingredients. I especially loved the following recipe. It blew me away because of how inventive it was with flavors and ingredients. I also loved that it was very healthy but also incredibly delicious (who would have thought :) I will definitely make this meal again. Enjoy!
FOR SALAD
2/3 cup wild rice, 1 cup brown rice, 3 cups chicken stock or water, 8 oz green beans trimmed and halved, 1 mango, salt and pepper, 14 oz cooked salmon, 2/3 cup pistachios chopped, chopped cilantro, squeeze of lemon juice
FOR DRESSING
1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar, 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 tsp honey, 1 globe finely chopped preserved ginger (I used regular ginger), 2 fresh red chilies seeded and shredded, salt and pepper, 3 tbsp peanut oil, 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Put both rices in a saucepan and cover with stock or water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Cook beans in boiling water about 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to set color. Peel mangoes and slice thinly.
3. Make dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together and stir into the warm rice and the green beans. Break the salmon into chunks and add it to the rice along with the mango, pistachios, cilantro, salt and pepper, and lemon juice.
More!
Until making this second dish, I had never ever cooked with pearl barley. I am converted. Not only is it good for your body and very cheap, it is delicious (sooo chewy and nutty), comforting, and extremely versatile. I think you could add pretty much anything to barley and make a great weeknight dinner.
For this version:
Put 1 cup of pearl barley in a saucepan and cover it with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until just tender (you don't want it creamy; you want it to still have some bite). Drain when finished cooking and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar. Meanwhile, peel and cut up a 2 lb butternut squash and roast it with olive oil, salt, and pepper at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (till completely tender and slightly caramelized). Add the squash to the barley along with 2 T chopped cilantro and 2 fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped up. Serve immediately.
06 February 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Could you be my personal chef? Pretty Please! Everything you make looks so yummy.
Post a Comment